Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Sew Domestic's Studio Tour

Here is a view looking into the main area of where I create and sew. There are 2 machines available and in the closet I have my drawing table set up and I use it as a design desk.











Here are some answers to the questions:

A. What do you use the space for?
I usually piece on the Featherweight, I do mending and quilting on the Viking. In the closet I store my books and use the desk area for planning, reading, stamping greeting cards, and creating Artist Trading Cards.














B. What is your favorite thing about the space?
My favorite thing about the space is that I can have a friend come over to work on a sewing project. I am happy that I have 2 dedicated sewing tables that are so portable.

C. What are struggles that you face in this space?
Of course I would like more room. The corner where I stash stuff under the cutting table is a horrid mess and I'd like to organize it to tame the wildness. Also, my husband has a shelf of car magazines that I'd like to politely move elsewhere, but I'm not sure how to tell him this fact. I would like to replace it with a country style kitchen hutch some day.












D. When do you use the space?
I use this space in the evenings and on weekends when I want to make progress on my quilting projects. We also have our computer and scanner in this room along one wall, so my husband and I both are in here for surfing on the internet and doing e-mails. During the summer, I am in here more often and that is when I dream about how it could be better looking and more functional.













E. What is an organizational trick you have to share?
I was given a portable file in a quilting class and since then I have been putting anything such as directions sheets and patterns in that file. The next step should be to file them by type. In my closet I did put all of my quilt books above the desk on some very sturdy closet shelves. That has worked out very well. After having seen some other sewer's studio space in blogs, I'd like to try skirting some of my white banquet tables and maybe not have so much stuff sitting on my cutting table.

7 comments:

marlene@ByTheSeam said...

What a nice big room, reminds me of my friend, Jeanett's house.

Anita in Florida said...

I have a D1 also...what is that table? It looks like it is made for the machine to fit in with the plexiglas piece?

Kristina said...

how fun you can sew with a friend:) Thanks for sharing!

Karen said...

Wonderful sewing area!

Kathy said...

Hi Anita in FL:
The table is a SewEzi folding and rolling table. After it is folded up there is a heavy duty cover that goes over the top and the wheels are available so it travels just like a suitcase. It is a great table!

~Bren~ said...

Your studio is wonderful! I love the sampler quilt you have hanging!

Kathy said...

Thank you all for your comments. I am glad you were here to visit and see my post about my sewing space. If I should be able to change it or redecorate, I'll make a new blog entry. That's not likely to happen though, until next summer. I have to get thinking about teaching school now. My classroom is put back together and I am in the lesson planning mode this week.