Saturday, October 16, 2010

Quilt Show and Special Class

I attended the Quilt Fest on the Mississippi today at the Omni Center in Onalaska.  Forgot the camera, and was disappointed by that, because there were many beautiful quilts.  Perhaps if there is time, I may run back tomorrow. 

A friend's daughters (twins) even had their special 30's print  raw edge bulls eye quilts in the show.  Of course, their experienced quilter Grammy and Mom assisted them in the construction!  The quilts were just beautiful and Abby and Emma made many of the fabric selections themselves.  Since the 30's prints are layered and loosely appliqued they have such an antique look already!  Both quilts looked like they came right out of a great grandma's trunk!  I loved the worn look.

It will be a busy day however, because I have signed up to take an Altered Texture class with Sue Spargo!  Yes, she is in town and teaching at Olive Juice Quilt shop all day tomorrow.  A friend and I attended the meet and greet party this evening over at the shop.  We loved her beautiful wool quilts, so we went ahead and signed up this evening and took our sweet little kits home.  Now, I have homework to get done before the class starts Sunday morning at 9AM.  

Here's part of what was in my kit.  I am now stitching the aqua dotted fabric to some wool to get the pieced background together.  I'd like to make the blue wools in a crazy patch, but I hate to run out of time.  It is getting late, so I'll most likely piece it in rectangles as it shows in the pattern.  


sample block


Notebook with design photo

Once the wool applique pieces are attached we will be learning to layer other cotton fabrics on top of the leaves, flowers, and birds to add more pattern and depth.  Sue will be showing us some decorative embroidery as well.  I know I like the techniques already, because it reminds me of crazy quilting!  I have been wanting to know more about working with wool and now is my chance to learn from one of the very best stitchers, Sue Spargo!

3 comments:

Gina said...

That's going to be great quilt. Can't wait to see it finished

Love and hugs Gina xxx

Heather said...

I have an award for you at my blog.

april said...

Wool! Looks beautiful and love the design ideas shown. Can't wait to see what you do!