Saturday, February 19, 2011

Red Scrappy Report

Cutting up a red charm pack
This week was my first chance to try a new die for the Accu-Cut machine.  It happens to be the machine that is made to cut paper, but I am giving it a trial run with fabric today.  It worked pretty well.  The only difference being that I don't use the template plastic over the fabric.   So sometimes the top layer of the fabric traveled with the roller.  For the smaller dies I don't think this is a problem, only an annoyance.  However, it might be a problem if the die was bigger and it could miss-cut the fabric that got stuck to the roller.  I am giving it the thumbs up because it worked well for what I needed cut today!




When I got home from school I whacked apart the trimmings from the tumbler block and used them to piece these crazy wedged style pieces.  I am using them for a pair of mug rugs.








Box of trimmed red pieces that I have to work with this weekend.
This little white basket contains my die cut pieces for a little tumbler pattern.  I really don't know what kind of quilterly project it will turn into, but I do know that I like to keep the edges untrimmed and then add a bias binding to gently accomodate the rippled edge.

The tumbler charms that I cut on the school accu-cut machine
 I was looking for something to back these cute little red mug rugs and realized that I was ready to trim up a backing for my Hazel Ilene Diary quilt and the left over edge just happened to be the correct size. 


A bit of stitching with some red embroidery thead has added the perfect finish.



Mug Rugs Ready for Service
It has been a fun Scrappy Saturday.  I'm off to check out the other participants blogs to see what they've sewn up with their RED scraps.  If you'd enjoy seeing some creative solutions for bits and pieces of red jump on over to the So Scrappy blog and start clicking on the links.  There is so much creativity to see.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your mug rugs, and even more the scraps you used to make them. Very clever use of everything!

Elly D said...

These little mug rugs are adorable! Your fabrics are gorgeous. Thank you for your visit and lovely compliments on my heart quilt :) Ellyx

Ellen said...

Very cute mug rugs...they are a great way to use up those scraps.

Jessica said...

I love what you did!! I recognize some of these fabrics scraps now... ;)

april said...

Oh, I love your little mug rugs! We were going to make some in our quilting class and loving the string quilting like i do, I think I'll have to try these!

Comfort Cove Designs said...

Your mug mats are too cute!!!!!!!!

Quiltingly Yours
Andrea

make.share.give said...

We have an Accucut at school with a lot of cute dies that could be used for applique. Maybe I need to sneak some fabric in on my planning period tomorrow.

Jane said...

What a great use for the scraps, two really gorgeous mug rugs